Saint Paul DFL Chair
The role of Chair is loosely defined in the Saint Paul DFL Constitution. To provide a fuller picture of the responsibilities, the current chair added the responsibilities she had and estimated hours. Please keep in mind that each elected executive committee member is encouraged to make the role his or her own and find the best work strategy for their team.
Constitutional Description: The Saint Paul DFL Chair shall be the chief organizer and coordinator of all City DFL activities in Saint Paul. The Chair shall convene and conduct meetings of the Saint Paul DFL Executive and Central Committees. The Saint Paul DFL Chair shall supervise the implementation of all policies adopted by the Saint Paul City Convention and the Saint Paul DFL Central and Executive Committees.
- Act as spokesperson and point of contact for the Saint Paul DFL. Respond to media and public inquiries. Connect candidates, campaigns, DFLers and the public with appropriate information and resources.
- Plan endorsing conventions. Work with Ward Chairs to plan caucuses, ward conventions and the city convention. This includes providing proper notice, securing space, materials, and volunteers and working to increase participation.
- Work with treasurer and fundraising chair to raise the requisite funds to support Saint Paul DFL activities. Helping organize fundraisers, working with key funders, making fundraising asks. (The role of fundraising chair is not in the constitution. The 2016-2018 Executive Committee found it helpful to elect an at-large director to that role.)
- Direct the work of the Executive Committee. The 2016-2018 Committee started with a retreat designed to create a work plan. The chair ensuring that work is on track and that committee members have the information and tools to do their work.
- Work with endorsed candidates to secure victory in the general election. In 2015 this included hiring and managing staff, overseeing a campaign plan, and working with key stakeholders.
Time Commitment: During election year—20hours/week, off-year- 10 hours/month
The elections will be held Tuesday, June 12th at 6PM at the Minnesota DFL (255 Plato Blvd., Saint Paul, MN). If you are interested in serving– please apply before June 8th. The Nominating Committee, a group of volunteers and executive committee members, will review the applications and make a recommendation on the slate.
Any questions, please contact current chair, Libby Kantner. (612) 860-7823 or firstname.lastname@example.org